Thursday, May 11, 2006

Night Phone Calls


from Peceli

Night phone calls

Awakened from sleep
It is 11.30 p.m.
Mike from Melbourne says
How are you? What?
Can you give me a phone number?
A phone number in Fiji?
The top police man in Fiji. What?
They’ll all be asleep in Fiji now.
It’s 1.30 a.m. over there.
Mike sounds a bit drunk.
Please, give me the Suva number.
You can only ring in the daytime.
What’s the problem anyway?
I have a friend sitting here
who wants to talk with him.
Then I heard the word, ‘Taki!’
Anyway, I scrabble around to find the book
In the dark, the light won’t work
I open the book, without my glasses.
Find the number after a few minutes.
Hello Mike. No answer.
Mike has gone.

The phone rings loudly
I am awakened suddenly, worried
As it is 4.30 a.m. only!
A woman’s voice.
Hello, how are you?
She’s bright, it’s 6.30 a.m. to her in Suva.
A long distant call.
She said she tried to contact us
Many times. Oh, the dial-up!
We were on the internet.
She’s from Nabalebale village.
She tells me her father has had a stroke,
Is in Suva hospital
Brought down from Labasa.
She talks of other things
And the suitcase we sent
By the Captain Cook three months ago.
Where is it?
I search for another phone number in Suva,
Find it, while she waits.
I read out the number,
Goodbye, and good luck.

2 comments:

Pandabonium said...

Gee, Peceli, in a lot of places they charge for "information" calls.

;^)

Unknown said...

Hello, everyone we offers international loans. With the capital used for long-term loans etc, also we give out loans at 2% interest rate so if yes you are really serious in need of a loan to pay off your bills or settle your debt please contact us at our company email address: johnleoloancompany@gmail.com or whatsApp number: +1(571)-489-7172