Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Bhindi and Potato Curry


from w
Peceli came back from Footscray market this afternoon with a bundle of bhindi (okra) which I haven't cooked in years but I have always liked other people's cooking of bhindi. So I made a quick curry with bhindi and potato. Other recipes suggest adding tomato, or capsicums, and another recipe even adds yoghurt but I find that would be a bit sloppy and I like bhindi curry fairly crisp. Anyway this is more or less what I used.
It's best eaten with roti of course and it's good as a parcel to take for lunch.

BHINDI AND POTATO CURRY

INGREDIENTS
Handful of okra, I large potato, sliced thinly
2 medium onions sliced
2 green chilies, chopped
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/3 teaspoon cumin powder
2/3 teaspoon garam masala
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 bunch of coriander leaves
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt to taste

PREPARATION
1 Trim the ends of okra
2 Cut remaining Okra into pieces.
3 Heat the oil in pan in medium heat.
4 Lower the heat and add onions, green chilies, spices and salt. Increase heat to medium. Stir-fry until onions are light golden brown.
5 Add potato and carefully cook to avoid burning. Add okra and stir-fry for around 15 minutes in a medium heat.
6 Sprinkle coriander leaves as decoration and serve hot with rice or roti.
-----------
Peceli has been making vakalolo lately so I'll try and get his recipe and post some time. It turned out very well, the second attempt! Instead of using 'real' cassava he used packets of frozen crushed cassava from the Chinese shop in Moorabool Street, Geelong.

No comments: