Thursday, July 02, 2009

The fear of strangers

from w
In Australia there are two TV programs one after the other about travellers - Getaway (which often has stories about Fiji) excites the imagination with wonderful holidays and the opportunity to explore other cultures and countries, then straight after there is Trouble in Paradise which recreates disaster stories of kidnapping, danger, and the 'other' people as criminals out to get you! This week there were wonderful scenes from Peru and even a prize of a trip there, then in the second program, what awful things can happen if you go there! Apparently it is based on true stories with both real tourists telling the story and re-enactments. What strange programming order though on Channel Nine! The thing that I noticed was the point of view - strangers are to be feared (though of course the adventurers in thes stories were often quite naive). Here are some comments:

Why would you do this Brooke?
Posted by: Young Adult, Melbourne, on 2/07/2009 11:02:37 PM
I'm sorry but I can't understand why you would associate yourself with this sad sad show. What a load of fear mongering rubbish. All this show achieves in creating greater division. Fear of traveling to other nations. Fear of other cultures. Fear of what's different. I sat on the couch watching this and come the ad break my housemates said "well I'm never going to Peru". That place is scary!....those people are messed up. I'm telling you now....that kind of response would have been felt across all of Australia. Brooke your a intelligent Australian who has become a symbol for young people making change. And yet this show is the opposite of what you believe in. It tarnishes the image of these nation, it's people, and their way of life. It just frustrates me. It's nothing more than a cheap punch for ratings at the expense of further dividing the world in a time where we need unity.

Report comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peru episode
Posted by: Lex, Brisbane, on 2/07/2009 10:00:01 PM
My husband and I have just realised that we missed the episode on Peru! Is there a way that I can download it? We were in Peru 8 months ago and were very glad to come back oki!

Report comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got slashed with a knife at Pamplona
Posted by: vb, Sydney, on 2/07/2009 9:42:37 PM
Back in 1998, I arrived in Spain Pamplona backing Europe. It was before the Euro had come out and it was during the running of the bulls. So all of Pamplona was packed with backpackers, no hotels available. Luckily enough and funny enough I met some nice yanks on the train there, and spend the day and most my time with them. They said we can leave our gear at the bus stop at secure lockup. So i did that and only got my essential items. Anyway I was drinking a lot of Sangria, and bought a bottle and a ticket to see a bullfight. The bullfight was in the evening and I had the bottle of Sangria with me was looking forward to drinking it. Coming down the stairs after the bullfight, this guy trys to trip me, he failed and is pointing to my daypack which is the only item I had with me as the rest was at the bus stop lock room. He tries to pull it off me, and I pushed him, then he threw his fist at my face, and i moved and it was a knife. Lucky I knew Martial Arts and defended myself.

Report comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last ever tour through the Middle East
Posted by: Rob, Melbourne, Australia, on 2/07/2009 8:52:01 PM
I was 18 years old and on the last ever Penworld bus tour from London to Katmandu in 1978. In Jerusalum I had suspected hepatitis but after a week I flew to Tehran to join my tour that had to keep going. Everyone was desperate to leave this city but I was the only naive one to enter it to try to find my tour mates. Everything British or American was hated so I have never been so Aussie. I saw banks blown up, people shot etc. I finally bribed my way on a bus to Isfahan where I arrived after curfew and had a tank take aim at me. The next day I joined my tour but we were then attacked and ambushed in Iran and lost our driver and bus. We sheltered in a police station because the bus driver drove over some Iranians to escape. Our group carried on in public transport from Afganistan to India. We bribed our way through the Middle East. Many flew home scared and some were poisoned. There were many harrowing stories before, during and after this event. Penworld was no longer. Cheers Rob

Report comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trouble in Paradise
Posted by: Ness, In General., on 29/06/2009 11:30:25 PM
Firstly, I think it was a huge mistake for Channel 9 to showcase Getaway, a show aimed at enticing their audiences to travel to exotic destinations immediately followed by airing Trouble in Paradise right after, a show dedicated to travellers sharing their horror travel experiences. Specifically when last week's Getaway show had a segment on Peru's magnificent Macchu Picchu, to then end Trouble in Paradise's show with a preview for the following week's locations which consisted of what? Peru! Who's great idea was that!? I enjoyed the show however I think it should be portrayed in a way that sends the "keep your eyes open and don't be naive when travelling" message opposed to the "look what happens if you decide to travel to these troublesome destinations". It's implanting unecessary fear in people, obviously you'd have to very naive to not keep in mind we live in an extremely civilised country and any travel should be handled with extra caution. I'd like to hear what others think..
-----------
My view is to be aware of the possibilities of a good outcome of travel as well as the small possibility of trouble. It is very good to experience other cultures and meet people whose life ae different, but at the same time travellers need to use common sense when in a different country. I wonder about the contradictions in Fiji stories - the Visitors' Bureau promotions, and the reality...

1 comment:

megcb said...

unbelievable programming! actually right up there with the fly to fiji special ads they showed after the late news in NZ- when the news was full of the Nadi floods.... :P

anyway readers if someone offers to take you to the market in Nadi then who you their relatives shop... don't go. Otherwise enjoy Nadi (i feel safer there than rotorua!)